Cisco System’s Global Business Services (GBS) sought to build employee engagement with Fortune’s Best Places to Work a key measure, and shift the focus of GBS from shared services “cost-saving” to a “value-adding” business purpose.
GBS declared the vision to “deliver an exceptional employee experience” while deploying a user-centered service model to deliver operational excellence, increase productivity, and create a service culture of increasing engagement.
Despite initial efforts, transition from an “expert mindset” to “customer mindset” was a challenge for GBS team members.
Uplifting Service introduced the Service Culture Architecture to align systems, policies, and processes. Staff learned to apply proven principles while building a mindset for continuous improvement.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS
- A Service Leadership Workshop was conducted for senior leaders at GBS.
- Workshop Leader Certifications were held in the US and India to build a global team of Service Change Agents.
- GBS staff worldwide completed Uplifting Service workshops.
- Regional teams created a common language of service and identified key Service Transactions for improvement. Behavioral changes and process changes were identified to improve customer experience.
- A Balanced Scorecard measures workforce experience, efficiency, and operational effectiveness.
- Cisco has risen to the top 50 of Fortune’s Best Places to Work.